This morning the crisp air and serious lack of light at my normal wake up time was very disappointing. I just wanted to crawl into bed and stay put. The 2 day headache didn’t help either. It wasn’t until the end of the day that I realized it’s fall!
My favorite time of the year .
My daughter has pretty much out grown all of her warm clothing forcing me (I know boo-hoo) to spend a little time today shopping for some adorable winter trends for my sassy little lady. Sandwiched between Gymboree and Carter’s is a little Bath and Body Shop store front. And what do you know, they had their candle display up.
Ordinarily I would just walk by, especially since there wasn’t a sale. But lately I have been stressed and feeling just a little less than fantastic – so I thought I would buy one … just one. I walked out with 5 three wick candles, 2 mini candles, 2 hand lotions, and a body spray. It ended my disappointment over Summer in about 2 seconds and reminded me of all the things I love about cooler temps.
Here are my favorite things about fall
- crisp fall nights by the fire – who doesn’t love the smell and worth of a fire. Surround it with good friends, a good drink or two, and some marshmallows and you would be hard pressed to find a better way to pass an evening.
- ‘fall’ drinks – whatever your favorite coffee shop, I am sure they have you covered with a selection of pumpkin and or carmel drinks. Don’t worry, they are soon to be followed with peppermint and eggnog drinks as Fall turns into the cold bitter Winter.
- Apples – anything apple. Orchards, hot cider, Oreos … okay I could take or leave those but you get it.
- Candles – the warmth, the fragrance, the dancing flames, the lingering smell of sulfur after striking a match
- Soups, crockpot meals, and chili – need I say more?
- Colors – the color of the leaves as the days get colder is unreal and vibrant. There is something just magical.
- Cold nights – no need for the A/C, sleeping temps are just perfect
- Chunky infinity scarves – there is something comforting and stylish about a scarf. And the chunkier the better
- Of course there are all the holidays and fun decorations. Oranges, yellows, reds slowly transition into reds, greens and whites. Three solid months of fun home decor – I couldn’t be a happier camper. Especially that first night when I can sit and sip hot chocolate and watch fresh snow make the world appear new and fresh and clean again.
- And then of course there is the celebrations – not just holidays with family and friends but October marks another year of life and love with my husband, the anniversary of my daughter’s birth, and of course the traditional family time at Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas, and New Year’s.
I don’t love the bitter cold but I can’t wait to start burning my cinnamon, apple, pumpkin, and earthy candles while my house turns cozy. And as the bitter cold sets in the smell of pine and wood will replace the apple and pumpkin.