Yesterday, or more accurately the early morning hours of today, I was able to get 3 different projects done. While I am extremely tired today, I am so happy with the things I got done.
First on the list was an infinity nursing scarf.
Digging out that darn nursing cover was just a waste of time and energy every time I needed to nurse my little girl. But, wearing the cover as a scarf? Well easy, on hand access to a cover whenever the little one needs it … sounds like a no brainer to me. I found this tutorial for the dimensions on diary of a mad crafter. The tutorial is really easy to follow and takes about 5 – 10 minutes to complete the scarf. I used this really fun double sided jersey with stripes on one side and polka dots on the others. The neutral colors should make it widely useable and the jersey material made it so I didn’t need to finish the edges. The bonus on this fabric find is I got it on clearance. I am not sure why, but the fabric stores in my area always seem to have jersey fabrics in their clearance section.
The next project was left over fabric from my carseat cover. When we had our little girl, I got a bunch of those ‘free’ product things. You know, like the sling and carseat cover. The carseat cover also had a baby lap blanket that we used all the time for our October baby. Unfortunately the lab we had at the time seemed to have some issues adjusting to life with a new baby and less attention and ate about 1/4 of the blanket. I had a ton of extra material so – I made one of my own to match.
Like I said, all of my materials were left over but what you’ll need:
20″ x 25″ cotton printed fabric
25″ x 25″ coordinated minky fabric
and of course thread
I started this project by laying the minky ‘right side up’ and laying the cotton fabric print side against the ‘right side’ of the minky. I lined up one end of the 25″ side of minky with the 25″ side of the printed fabric. I pinned them together at just that one edge and sewed it together.
Next I pulled the printed fabric to meet the other end of the minky. This allowed for the ‘trim’ of minky on the one end. I pinned all sides and sewed them up leaving a small space to flip the blanket right sides out.
Finally, I folded in the little pocket that was left open for flipping, and did a top stitch all the way around the blanket.
Again, a simple project. I think the thing that took me the longest as cutting the material. I am also not an expert in working with minky. I find it can be a little difficult due to the fabrics tendency to stretch. My advice is to go slow, always pin, and look ahead and made adjustments as needed as you go.
My last project for the night was another really practical and easy project – and it used leftover scraps from a handful of blankets I made. Tomorrow’s post will include a tutorial for that.